Thursday 25 March 2010

Lindsay Lohan prompts on-air battle - Guardian

Lindsay Lohan prompts on-air battle: "

BBC3's controller, Danny Cohen, is no stranger to defending his output from critics, not least the Hollywood starlet Lindsay Lohan's investigation into child trafficking for the channel. Celebrities help bring in viewers to difficult topics, says Cohen. But he came in for some persistent questioning from Eddie Mair on BBC Radio 4's PM programme yesterday, which turned into the 'When Eddie Met Danny' show and had echoes of Mark Thompson's recent mauling by Paxo on Newsnight. Forget about Lohan, the issue became Cohen's absolute refusal to say anything negative about his programmes or presenters in public. Ever. Listen for yourself - the report begins at 46m 30secs. Here's a few highlights.

Eddie Mair Celebrities get you viewers don't they?

Danny Cohen Sometimes, and sometimes they don't. I mean you can do something with a celebrity and you realise they weren't the right person for that thing or they weren't quite the person that should be related to it and they don't.

EM Have you got examples of that?

DC None that I'm going to give you because I don't like criticising individual programmes and programme makers.

EM How do they get better then?

DC Well I know and my team know but I don't think it's right. I've never thought it's right to criticise in public.

EM So the people who appear on your channel, you are only prepared to say positive things about them?

DC I'll say negative things about them sometimes in private, but I won't on the radio criticise ...

EM In front of the licence payers? Aren't they paid enough to take a bit of constructive criticism in public?

DC I don't think the airwaves is the right place to do it, no. I'm happy on an individual basis to talk to people but I don't want to criticise individuals on the radio, no.

EM Is [Lindsay Lohan] any good?

DC Yeah I think she asks some good questions and I think she ...

EM But then you wouldn't tell me if she was bad by your own admission.

DC I wouldn't criticise my talent directly on the radio to you now, no.

So, folks, you will clearly have to watch it for yourself. Monkey, like Eddie, no doubt, can't wait.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

"

No comments:

Post a Comment