Saturday 9 January 2010

BBC Luvvies For Labour

BBC Luvvies For Labour: "The BBC is going big on 'Doctor Who star David Tennant 'backs Gordon Brown''. Tennant, a Scot recently replaced by a younger man, is quoted:
'Clearly, the Labour Party is not without some issues right now and I do get frustrated. They need to sort some stuff out, but they are still a better bet than the Tories.'
Meanwhile, election year sees the start of a new topical comedy show on Radio Five Live presented by Chris Addison, the only person who comes anywhere near to matching Tennant's recent levels of BBC ubiquity. So, will Addison's new programme offer a fresh perspective on current affairs, or will it be the same tiresome worldview from the BBC's left-wing comedy establishment? Addison's opinions on the Conservative Party could give a clue:
'It's very difficult, if you were brought up as a child during Thatcher's period, to ever contemplate being a Tory. There is no way I can physically bring myself to vote Tory. That will stay with me till I die.'
On Twitter a couple of days ago he was asked what he thought about the current government and responded:
'Better than the alternative.'
A little later he tweeted:
'My political leanings are decidedly liberal.'
Which, coincidentally, is the first box you have to tick if you want to present a Sunday morning programme on Radio Five Live.

Update 5.05pm. Perhaps we'll be treated to some of Addison's views on Europe. From an interview with him on the BBC's comedy website:
I am fiercely pro-European. I would very much have liked to see this country join the Euro a few years back. Not least because it would greatly annoy the kind of people that I don't generally like.
I'm fiercely pro-European as well (OK, maybe not 'fiercely'), but I don't buy into the anti-democratic EU project.

Click through to read and contribute comments on this post.

"

No comments:

Post a Comment